A great school, giving kids a great start…
In a safe, nurturing environment, Fairyland builds upon the foundation of the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards – going beyond what is required by the state, to exceed expectations of the families who trust their children to our care. We challenge our students to attain core knowledge and build strong character, in order to achieve their highest potential.
Mr. Jeremy Roerdink is in his 8th year as principal of Fairyland School. He has been an educator for 18 years, and holds a Masters of Education degree and Educational Specialist Certification in Educational Administration and Supervision. Mrs. Emily Haney is in her 2nd year as Assistant Principal and 14th year in education, and holds a Master’s of Education degree in Educational Administration and Supervision.
Fairyland students won 1st place in the Walker County Spelling Bee in 2009, 2013, 2015, and 2016 and won 1st and 2nd place in the Walker County Science Fair in 2013. Three Fairyland students placed 1st in Walker County Young Author’s Fair in 2011, two placed 1st in 2012 and in 2011 a student won first place in the Region.
Instructional Method Highlights
Designed to help students learn
Fairyland practices the research-based Workshop Model for all reading, writing and mathematics classes. This is a highly effective model for motivating students, helping them understand and remember lessons.
Word Journeys Spelling Curriculum – a differentiated approach to instruction, including Thinking Maps, Touch Math, and Guiding Reading
School Library and Librarian complement the instructional model. Our dedicated librarian knows each child personally and guides and nurtures children’s love of reading.
- Governor’s Office of Student Achievement (2016 Platinum in student growth; 2016 Silver; 2011 Bronze; 2010 Silver Level in Achievement)
- Ranked #1 in Northwest Georgia based on 2016 CCRPI SCORE of 93.6
- Ranked 38th out of 1240 schools in Georgia.
The school was recognized by Gov. Nathan Deal as 1 of only 17 schools to receive a platinum award in student growth and silver award for student achievement over the past 3 years!
Our Students have incredible opportunities, outside of the classroom
Arts & Music
- Classroom art instruction, grades k-5
- Annual Community family Art Show and Exhibition sponsored by the Fairyland School PTO
- Annual Missoula Children’s Theater Program, involving over 60 children
- Visiting Musician, including Chattanooga Symphony and singer-song writers
- Lookout Children’s Community Chorus for K-5 students
Community Engagement & Character Developments
- In-house Star Student Awards recognize exemplary citizenship and friendship
- Junior Achievement Program teaches basic business and economics concepts
- Student-led community projects including school recycling, pet rescue, letters to Veterans program, food drive, Angel Tree, and more
- Field Trips to local cultural and historical sites, grades K-5
- Creative Discovery Museum Science Night, grades K-5
- Fairyland Festival, annual community festival
- PE class, grades k-5
- Annual Field Day and Fun Run
- Participation in the President’s Physical Fitness Award
- Cross-Country and Track & Field program lets students compete against local public and private schools, through the Chattanooga Track and Field Elementary Program. In 2012, Fairyland students won the Track & Field championship, and placed 2nd in 2013
Science & Technology
- All classrooms grades K-5 are equipped with computers, Internet access and printers
- All classrooms grades 3-5 use teaching technologies including interactive whiteboards
- One full computer lab, laptop cart, 75 iPads available for classroom use
- 4th/5th Grade one-to-one Google Classroom using Chromebooks
- STEAM Aquaponics Learning Lab for K-5 instruction (coming in 2017)
- Monarch Butterfly Research Garden
- Computer/Technology Instruction
Fairyland’s three certified special education teachers use the Inclusion Model, where special education instructors join the classroom and co-teach, addressing the full range of student learning needs.
Fairyland’s gifted program, Kaleidoscope, includes a weekly specialized classroom experience that challenges select students to go beyond the normal curriculum.
After Care Program
Provides and services the school and community population by providing quality after-school education, recreation, and social programs for our students.
Parents are encouraged to participate in their childrens’ classrooms, through the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO), B.E.A.T (Business Partner Program), and the Fairyland School Council. The PTO is a key partner of the school and leads a range of activities including Fairyland Festival, Box Tops, Food City Bonus Card, to provide additional funding, resources, teachers, and more.